Gartner has released their latest analysis of the Enterprise Architecture vendor market.
Their overall assessment is favourable and in summary states the following:
- EA tools adoption has increased despite economic challenges
- Tools vendors have increased the richness of the features and functionality of their tools sets
- Merger and aquisition activity (Software AG buying IDS Scheer) has provided momentum for 2009/2010.
- Most tools seem to be more well rounded and now include, modelling, business intelligence and analysis capabilities that use a single data repository.
- Open source and entry level tools have emerged and are seen to be gaining acceptance and interest but it is too early to tell what type of adoption there will be by a wider audience.
- There is recognition in the market that entry level and no cost offerings can pose a longer term threat to vendors. This is as a result of vendors not listening to customers and not not aligning themselves with customer needs and their associated adoption of a fit for purpose EA tool.
A copy of the report can be downloaded here.